Copy: Dropbox killer?
For those who do not know, dropbox is an online storage service which has been around for a good few years. Back in the day it was cutting edge with a lot of free space 2GB for every new sign up and 500MB for both referral and referred (totalling to 18GB limit per account). By todays standard might not be a lot, few years ago it was worth harassing your friends to sign up under your referral.
Copy on the other hand is relatively new launched recently provides the same thing, only right off the bat they give you more space. You can read more of their press release HERE.
- Copy Referral Program — In possibly the most rewarding referral program in cloud storage history, Copy users can earn 5GB of additional free storage for both themselves and the person they introduce to Copy for each referral, with no limit on the total capacity they can earn. The average Copy referrer has earned well over 60GB of free storage, with the largest referrers earning space in the 10s of TBs.
- Copy “Fair Storage for All” Initiative — Instead of counting data in shared folders against all members’ individual storage quotas so everyone pays for the same data over and over, Copy allows users to “split the bill” and control which files count against their storage capacity. View the 40-second video on the Copy “Fair Storage for All” initiative at http://youtu.be/m36ZMdE-vro. Copy was created to meet the exceedingly high design demands of today’s online and mobile users, and to provide the advanced security and corporate features required for businesses. Additional highlights of the service include:
- Multiple device compatibility — Copy works across Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux computers and offers mobile device support for Apple iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad) and Android, with Windows Mobile coming soon.
- Easy file sharing without limits — Copy allows users to upload and share files of any size, including 1080p videos and raw photographs, without size limitations often found in email attachments. These shared files and folders can be sent to anyone either publicly or privately and accessed from any location or device.
- More security — Copy provides a secure alternative to other cloud storage services. Included data verification inspects data before Copy accepts it into the user’s cloud storage. File-level ownership is verified prior to transferring anything to other devices. Copy also allows users to share files privately using Copy’s built-in identify verification.
- Company control — Copy extends its cloud storage and sharing benefits into corporate environments with user and group management and added controls for proprietary company data.
Now if you have not noticed yet, they are offering 15GB right off the bat. Which is handy for people like me who always share content to my friends or clients. Many of my friends are still attaching files on e-mails. Which usually gets bounced as email servers usually have a limit on file attachement sizes.
You can create sub-folders and sub-sub folders if you wanted and only share individual folder or share individual files either secure (verify via e-mail address) or public.
As you can see from below, the public links generate auto thumbnails and create a gallery
So far everything looks fine and dandy. Lets take a look at he desktop apps.
All the popular operating systems (OS) are supported for the computer as well as mobile platform (except windows phone 8?).
It is just as described. Once you install the app, all files will be sync unless set differently under preferences.
As you can see, after installing the application the files sync, of course the files I have uploaded were small in sizes if you have larger files it might take a while. And you are still able to get the share links as if it was from the browser by right clicking on the folder
My current dropbox account is about 48GB, but 40GB is expiring soon. So might as well look for alternatives right?
But I guess the bottom line of copy.com vs dropbox.com is starting storage space and referral bonus for free users like me.
15GB vs 2GB
5GB vs 500MB
Maybe in the future when my services really utilizes so much space I'll pay for it, as for now, FREE IS #AWESOME!!!
So if you dont mind, please use my referral code so I can get some more free space!